New Orleans is a city filled with history, and some say many historical events left behind evidence of the paranormal kind. In the French Quarter, the cemeteries, and just about every corner you turn in The Big Easy, ghosts abound. So do ghost tours, but not all tours are for all people. To find the tour that’s right for you, check out these options.
Good for Families with Younger Children
The Cemetery and Voodoo Walking Tour from Gray Line goes easy on the scares. A climate-controlled bus transports guests to St. Louis Cemetery #1 for this two-hour, daylight-only tour. During the drive, a guide tells tales about people from the French Quarter’s long ago past who may still be hanging around today as ghosts (but there are no ghosts in the bus, of course). At the cemetery, a professional, licensed guide continues the stories with tales of the famous and infamous people who are buried there, as well as the evolution of Voodoo.
When guests get to the tomb of New Orleans Voodoo Queen, Marie Laveau, they’ll learn how she was able to be in two places at once. They’ll also be able to make a wish or cast a spell at her tomb. A little history lesson happens, too, when the guide explains the above ground burial customs of the region and the origins of some of the tombs.
Guests walk away with a souvenir “Gris Gris” bag containing a Voodoo amulet.
- Tour departs from the Gray Line “Lighthouse” Ticket Office at Toulouse St. & the Mississippi River at the Steamboat Natchez Dock
- Price: Adults $27.00; Children ages 6-12 $15
- Dates and times vary depending on time of year – confirm with website
- Reservations are recommended 24 hours in advance
Good for Families with Older Children
The Ghosts of New Orleans Tour from Ghost City takes guests on a tour in hopes they will encounter a ghost along the way. Guests visit the most notorious haunted locations in the famous New Orleans’ French Quarter on this 90 minute tour. The tour visits haunted restaurants, hotels, and more. Along the way, guests will hear the true story behind the haunted LaLaurie Mansion, home to many tortured ghosts, and also visit sites of grisly murders and crimes where the victims are said to still haunt the living.
- Tour departs from 798 Chartes Street
- Price: Ages 12 and up $19.95; Children ages 6-11 $9.95; 5 and under are free
- Tours begin nightly at 6pm and 8pm
- Advance ticket purchase is required
Good for Giving You Nightmares
The 4-in-1 Ghosts,Voodoo,Vampires and Witchcraft Walking Tour from Witches Brew Tours encourages guests to take multiple pictures with flash photography because more often than not, something inexplicable finds its way into a photo during this dark-of-night ghost tour. The tour leads guests through the historic French Quarter and stops at buildings well known for paranormal activity and tragedies.
What makes this tour especially scary is that many of the stories told on this tour are true, so it may not be suitable for kids under 10. Tour guides take guests to the location where one of the world’s oldest vampires spent time in New Orleans in the 1920s. They also visit New Orleans’ most haunted house, the residence of Madame Delphine LaLaurie – the inspiration for Kathy Bates’ character in American Horror Story. In between there are stories of hauntings, spirits, and paranormal activity that have happened over the centuries in New Orleans.
- Tour departs from the corner of Royal and Conti Streets, directly across from Latrobe’s restaurant
- Price: Adults $25; Students, military with I.D, and seniors $20; Children ages 6-12 $12
- Tours begin at 5pm and 8pm
- Advance ticket purchase is recommended; walk ups are welcome to stand by
Good for a History Lesson
Saints and Sinners Walking Tour from French Quarter Phantoms doesn’t water anything down when it comes to the colorful history of New Orleans. This tour takes guests through the best and worst of the strange city with a dark, dark past. Not so much a ghost tour as it is a tour through the city highlighting the unique and interesting rumors of conspiracy, witchcraft, and vampires. It also highlights the truths of a Voodoo priestess and other historical figures through the centuries in this city that has had more than its fair share of saints and sinners.
- Tour departs from 718 N Rampart St. at the corner of Orleans Street and Rampart Street
- Price: $20 ages 17 and up. No one under 17 is permitted on this adult-themed tour
- Tours begin at 1pm daily
- Advance ticket purchase is recommended
Remember, no matter which tour you take, tour guides work hard to learn the history of New Orleans so they can pass on the information to you in a fun, educational, and a little bit spooky way. They always appreciate a tip at the end of the evening if you appreciated their expertise.